Saturday, May 3, 2008

We Made it!




We survived the travel process with flying colors (no pun intended). I am not sure how much sleep I was able to get durring our 9 1/2 hour flight from Atlanta to BA. Our flight arrived at 7:45am, which is about 3:45am in Salt Lake. We took a scary ride taxi ride to our hotel and found out we couldn't check in until 3pm. Being the troupers that we are, we drank some cafe con leche (coffee with milk) and decided to walk around our new stomping grounds. There are several designer shops where we are, trouble was that none of them were open. Guess the days don't really get going until after 11.
We decided we needed to get some food to counter act all of the coffee we ha so we walked into a very authentic Cafe & Bar along a busy street. Lesson number one: Do not believe people when they tell you that everyone in BA speaks English. The truth is that not very many people do! We learned this the hard way. They had no menu to point to an item to order, so I ordered us the only thing I am proficient at ordering - 2 coffees. This place was quite the local hot spot for old men who like to play pool. They paid no attention to us and made it pretty clear that we did not belong. There was no check with an amount given to us and when the waiter/owner told me the amount I had to ask him to write it down.
Now incredibly jittery, Heidi and I some how made it to a more touristy part of town and found a restaurant where they spoke a little English. We walked around a park with some street vendors then headed back to our hotel to see if our room was ready. Unfortunately it was not, so we did the only logical thing, sat at the bar and drank until it was.

I need to start getting ready for tonights adventures, so I will write more tomorrow!

No comments: